need clarification of operator new and __m128

Matthias Kretz Matthias.Kretz@kip.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Aug 14 13:01:00 GMT 2009

Hi,

On Friday 14 August 2009 12:59:30 Matthias Kretz wrote:
> Is this a bug in my code or in gcc? Do I have to add the alignment
> restriction to the Vector class itself also?

Thinking about this further I think this is not gcc's responsibility since
operator new (or malloc) are library functions and those know nothing of the
alignment restrictions of the underlying type, right?

So the correct thing to do is to overload operator new/new[]/delete/delete[]
in my classes an let them return
_mm_malloc(size, 16);
and respectively call
_mm_free(ptr);