new port's validation

Michael Meissner meissner@linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Apr 30 22:57:00 GMT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 02:16:34PM +0200, Florent DEFAY wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a new port.
>
> The arch is a 16 bit machine.
>
> The current state should enable any compilation. Libgcc is compiled.
> The cc1 is working.
>
> Now I try to validate. My method is to launch make check-gcc.
> But many tests go wrong for two main reasons:
> some tests need to include standard header files, but we do not need
> to implement a libc
> some tests are too long or use too large arrays and it is impossible
> with the memory of the machine
>
> Do you know better methods to validate GCC for such an arch?
> Should we implement a libc since there is no OS?
> Please, I need advice.

When I was doing embedded work in the past, I usually did a port of newlib so
that the standard header files, abort, printf, existed.  There are various
switches you can set to reduce which tests get run.  I would look for another
16-bit bit embedded system, and set things up the same way.  Look at
doc/sourcebuild.texi and the target-support.exp file in testsuite/lib.

--
Michael Meissner, IBM
4 Technology Place Drive, MS 2203A, Westford, MA, 01886, USA