How to compile libstdc++.a libgcc.a with -fPIC ?

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Wed Apr 22 22:06:00 GMT 2009

Ulrich Holtmann <Ulrich.Holtmann@synopsys.com> writes:

> is it possible to configure gcc 4.2.2 as
> "--disable-shared" + "-fPIC for libstdc++.a, libgcc.a, ..." ?

No.

> I want to use libstdc++.a for building a shared library on Linux RH4 64-bit
> in order to avoid dependencies to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

That explains the --disable-shared, but why the -fPIC?

> Second question: is this advisable? I see hints that exception
> handling across boundaries of shared libraries may fail in this case.

If your linker does not support the --eh-frame-hdr option, then you need
to use a shared libgcc.  If your linker does support --eh-frame-hdr,
then throwing exceptions across shared library boundaries should work
even without a shared libgcc.  This requires that the executable and all
shared libraries are linkd using --eh-frame-hdr--it won't work with old
shared libraries.

Ian