Help with compiling GCC Extension module

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Wed Apr 8 07:11:00 GMT 2009

Aravinda <aravindakidambi@gmail.com> writes:

> I am a novice and have not worked with gcc code before. I am trying to
> learn through the extension module, simple instrumentations to the gcc
> code. I need to do this for a project to instrument gcc to provide
> runtime bounds checking.. Could you please advise if I can use the GCC
> Plug-in feature to do this instead ? And if so, where can I get a
> patch for GCC to support plug-ins and libraries/headers etc I will
> need to link the plug-in code for compilation ?

The plugin support is very much work in progress.  It could be used for
runtime bounds checking, but I'm sure there would be some difficulties
getting everything to work.  For more information and the status, see
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/plugins .

For runtime bounds checking, have you looked into the -fmudflap option?

Ian