sorry to trouble, but I have no idea about this

jerry zhai jerry.z.mystery@gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 13:58:00 GMT 2009

Dear SIr,

 I want to install gcc 4.3.3 on my linux for myself only,  but I don't
have root permission. I followed the install guide, but the problem
seemed weird.

my os is redhat enterprise for smp, the kernel version is 2.4.21
machine type is AMD Operon, x86_64

--------------------
before installing gcc, I had my own gmp 4.2.1 and mpfr 2.3.0 installed
at location $HOME/lib/gmp and $HOME/lib/mpfr.    Besides, I had a
system gmp library located in /usr/lib, and the gcc in /usr/bin is gcc
3.2.3

then I checked out gcc_4_3_3_release from the gnu svn server

after the source files  extracted, I did following steps:

gcc> mkdir tmp
gcc> cd tmp
gcc> ../configure --prefix=$HOME/work/ --with-gmp=$HOME/lib/gmp
--with-mpfr=$HOME/lib/mpfr --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran
gcc> make
gcc> make install

I finished the make step successfully, but I didn't perform check step
since I don't have autogen on my system. That's not the critical
problem I think,( or perhaps it is actually, who knows). Then I edited
the .cshrc under $HOME to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I set it to be
$HOME/work/lib, and verified.

The problem troubled me most was:  cc1 kept reporting errors --- error
while loading shared libraries: libmpfr.so.1: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

This happened once during make stage, cc1 in source directory refused
to work, reporting exactly the same problem above.  I tried to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be $HOME/lib/mpfr/lib and it worked and compiled!
However, this trick failed to make the installed gcc work.

I checked the library dependency of cc1 with ldd, and found
libmpfr.so.1 points to null, and libgmp points to the system gmp
library!  I don't know what's wrong since I did throw the flag
--with-gmp and --with-mpfr.

 plz help me, I would attach any install log if u would like to see.

 thanks a bunch !

yours, Jerry