C parsing + register allocation

Philip Herron herron.philip@googlemail.com
Sat Apr 25 22:54:00 GMT 2009

Hey

Thanks very much, thats a pretty detailed respone! :)

> The gcc documentation is at http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/ .  You may be
> interested in the internals manual which you can find at the bottom of
> that page.  Unfortunately the register allocation process is not well
> documented.  Also, note that the register allocator was completely
> rewritten in the 4.4.0 release of gcc.
>
> Ian

I kind of thought it would be the case that it wasn't well documented.
But i have been compiling my own version of gcc for ages, so i might as
well take a peek into the sources for once.

I would love to try and contribute to gcc, but i am a little overwhelmed
with how much code there is to get around for such a long standing
project. But if there are some code cleanups or something i might take a
stab at it. If its possible :)

Regards the parser thing yeah thats the way i started implementing it,
just its nice to know i have went about doing it the completely wrong
way ;). But i am thinking of working a little at a simple assembler and
elf linker for now and make a library interface to it, might be a nice
way to work with it. Thought not too sure.

Anyways thanks for that. Seeing the notes for gcc 4.4.0 seems like a lot
of cool work was done! anyways any tips on small contributions for gcc
that i might take a stab at would be nice.

Thanks
-Phil