Error building on OS X

Kai Ruottu kai.ruottu@wippies.com
Thu Apr 16 06:42:00 GMT 2009

Timur Tabi wrote:

> I'm trying to build a PowerPC-targeted gcc (4.3.3) on a PowerPC OS X
> 10.5 system.  I have the latest Xcode installed, which comes with gcc
> 4.0 and 4.2.  The reason I'm doing this is because I want to build a
> 4.3-based toolchain that can generate Linux binaries for PowerPC
> embedded systems.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not getting very far at all.  When I run this command:
>
> ./gcc-4.3.3/configure --target=powerpc-linux --program-prefix=powerpc-
>
> I get this error:
>
> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error:
> C compiler cannot create executables

Producing GCC binaries requires a working C toolchain (C compiler, C
library, assembler, linker,...) for the "host" system, in your case
for OS X 10.5!  The GCC "sources" are mostly in 'C' language, so a
working C compiler for the host is required to compile them. In order
to make the executables for the "OS X to Linux/PPC" crosscompiler,
producing executables for OS X 10.5 MUST work !

The error tells that now you cannot produce any executables for OS X
10.5 with the installed "Xcode" (what on earth is that?) !

> and config.log says this:
>
> configure:3194: checking for C compiler default output file name
> configure:3197: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
> /usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin9/4.0.1/ld: warning unknown
> -macosx_version_min parameter value: 10.5.6 ignored (using 10.1)

This says "powerpc-apple-darwin9"... Is that really the same thing
as "a PowerPC OS X 10.5 system" ?  Ie do you really have GCC etc
made for OS X 10.5 ? Not one made for OS X 9.x ?