libstdc++ version information howto?

oldbrad brad@bradcan.homelinux.com
Tue Sep 9 13:43:00 GMT 2008

I am running a RedHat 9 installation which appears to have various copies of
libstdc++.so.6 installed in various places. rpm -q gcc says gcc-3.2.2-5

When I run an app I receive the following error:

/usr/lib/linstdc++.so.6: version 'GLIBCXX_3.4.5' not found (required by ...
app I'm trying to run).

I  have compiled a newer version 3.4.5 of gcc, but I am now receiving the
error:

/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: no version information available (required by ...
the app I'm trying to run)

Am I compiling the right version of gcc ?
How do I tell configure to include version information in the generated
libstdc++.so.6 ?

Thanks in advance