Errors using the same identifier as type and function name

Rodolfo Lima rodolfo@rodsoft.org
Mon Sep 1 23:59:00 GMT 2008

Hi, I wonder why the following code gives the error below with
gcc-3.4.6 up to 4.3.1 (I don't know about earlier versions):

struct type {};

struct A
{
     type *type() { return 0; }
};

teste.cpp:5: error: declaration of 'type* A::type()'
teste.cpp:1: error: changes meaning of 'type' from 'struct type'

If we define 'A' as

struct A : type
{
     type *type() { return 0; }
};

it compiles fine.

I've searched the C++2003 standard for something related to this but
couldn't find anything. Anyone knows what's happening here?

IMHO it should compile because 'A::type' is in a different scope of
'struct type', and the fact that we're referencing 'struct type'
*before* specifying 'A::type' function name shouldn't make both
identifiers ambiguous.

Regards,
Rodolfo Lima