Library tripled in size with GCC 4.2

Eric Gorr mailist@ericgorr.net
Wed Oct 15 20:34:00 GMT 2008

On Oct 15, 2008, at 4:11 PM, Lawrence Crowl wrote:

> On 10/15/08, Eric Gorr <mailist@ericgorr.net> wrote:
>> Are there any flags I have missed that might allow the actively
>> developed library to safely become smaller?
>
> You could try either
>
> -femit-struct-debug-reduced
> -femit-struct-debug-baseonly
>
> These options eliminate struct debug information that is usually
> duplicated.  There are some cases where they will eliminate too much,
> so you will need to try it in your environment.

thanks.

I checked the man page for GCC and I didn't see those options mentioned.

Here is more specific information about what I am using:

/usr/bin $gcc-4.2 --version
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5564)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
is NO
PURPOSE.

/usr/bin $ld -v
@(#)PROGRAM:ld  PROJECT:ld64-85.2.1

/usr/bin $libtool -V
Apple Computer, Inc. version cctools-698.1

The specific error message I am getting is:

/Developer/usr/bin/libtool: can't vm_allocate() buffer for output
file: libCore.a of size 1206037468 ((os/kern) no space available)