CFRONT or llvm-g++ instead of C++

Dave Nadler Dave.Nadler@nadler.com
Tue Nov 25 09:51:00 GMT 2008

>On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 19:13, Michael Meissner
><meissner@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm wondering if there are any C++ -> C compilers still around (such as the
> > original CFRONT)?  It might be simpler to use those rather than trying
> to slog
> > through the GCC support if you are just doing this for one project.

I had a quick look around and was dissuaded from CFRONT
by highlighted lack of exceptions. My existing code uses
iostreams and exceptions.

At 08:10 PM 11/24/2008, me22 wrote:
 > llvm-g++ with --emit-llvm and the LLVM C backend might do the job,
 > though I don't know how well that would do with exceptions.

llvm-g++ looks interesting using the back-end that generates
portable C. As you pointed out, its not clear from first read
if they have a runtime for exceptions etc. that cross-compiles.
And I'd still have to attach their back-end assumptions to the
existing target runtime. Would this really be quicker and/or
more maintainable ?

Let me know if I missed something !
Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave