GCC in AIX

Rob Sherry rsherry@ahfc.state.ak.us
Wed Nov 12 00:33:00 GMT 2008


> Is it necessary to use the local native compiler - xlc in this case,
to
> compile gcc ? I have a gcc-4.2.3 installed on AIX and would now like
to

No. In my experience it's better to stick to an all-GCC environment.

> install gcc 4.3.2. However if I compile with existing gcc then the
> compiles is extremly slow and almost does not do much. It took about a
> day to just finish stage-1. I tried to check for any load etc but
could

As someone else noted, it's not GCC's fault--it's an issue with the
shell you're using (I'll bet it's not bash...). This is documented
somewhere (I don't recall exactly, I think it's actually on the Apache
httpd site...) Google up something like 'slow configure AIX' and
you'll find it.

The fix, as previously stated, is to set the CONFIG_SHELL environment
variable to point to your bash install (there's almost always a link
like /usr/bin/bash pointing to somewhere in /opt/freeware if you use
the IBM-provided distro; otherwise it's wherever you put it).

FYI this will trip you up in a number of software builds, including 
Apache's httpd, and some of the larger GNU packages.

> "./config.h", line 435.9: 1506-213 (S) Macro name inline cannot be
> redefined.

[errors snipped]

If you want to stick with the IBM compiler, it's time for either a 
source dive, or hitting up someone who really knows the IBM compiler
environment (the former being both more educational, and less
expensive in many ways, IMHO).

Rob



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list