Verification that taking address of a nested function always requires executable stack

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming@digium.com
Thu Nov 6 14:10:00 GMT 2008

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> If you expect to distribute your binaries to computers which you do
> not control, and which may be configured to disallow an executable
> stack, then you should indeed avoid using nested functions, or at
> least avoid taking their address.

Well, our primary distribution is via source, but requiring people who
are going to build from source to deal with this is something we'd
rather avoid. Thanks for the rapid and detailed answer.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies