information about ld invocation and defaults ?

Dave Nadler Dave.Nadler@nadler.com
Sun Nov 23 15:50:00 GMT 2008

Hi All - I'm a newbie with GCC and having a bit of a flail with rebuilding
and understanding GCC interaction with LD and "configured default path" in
the tools.

I'd like to see the exact parameters with which ld is invoked by GCC. I
added -wl,-t to the GCC line, and while this provides a lot of helpful
information, some info seems missing, in particular:
- exactly what is passed into ld as it is invoked ?
- ld cannot find "crt0.o"; OK tell me where did it look ?
- ld cannot find "crt0.o"; OK tell me where it was given the requirement to
load it ?
- what is the definition of "sysroot prefix" for this build of ld ?

The ld man pages say "Aside from its flexibility, the GNU linker is more
helpful than other linkers in providing diagnostic information." But I
can't see how to get ld to report the above basic info.

Apologies in advance as I've probably missed something in the man pages !
Thanks in advance for any and all help,
Best Regards, Dave

Dave Nadler, USA East Coast voice (978) 263-0097,  drn@nadler.com