Mingw gcc 4.4.0 64bit garbage collector bug?

John Fine johnsfine@verizon.net
Tue Nov 18 16:45:00 GMT 2008

I'm using a Mingw build of gcc 4.4.0 in Windows XP64 to compile a very
large .cpp file (193KB main file plus many headers).

cc1plus.exe exits with return code 128 with no error message and without
creating any output files.

I checked the behavior with procmon (from sysinternals) and I see that
it stopped reading include files at a very unlikely spot and then did a
large amount of processing and many changes in its virtual memory size
before exiting (with no further I/O).

This seems to me like it implies a failure in cc1plus's internal garbage
collector.

The system has 16GB of ram.  The cc1plus process hit a top memory use of
128MB.  So it shouldn't have failed due to lack of memory.

I know this request for help is rather lame at this point:  I'm not
giving you a way to reproduce the problem.  I'm not the person who
installed Mingw on this system, so (at the moment) I don't have any
details of where this exact version of gcc came from nor how it was
installed.

But have you heard of any gcc/Mingw garbage collect bugs?  And/or do
these symptoms sound like something else to you?  Can you think of any
short cuts to investigating or solving the problem?

I don't want to go through a detailed investigation to nail all this
down if someone else has already found the answer and I just needed to ask.

Mingw is not one of the environments I normally use, so I know nothing
about what debugging tools might be practical in this environment.