Best way of compiling applications to run on older linux distros

Tom Quarendon tom.quarendon@teamwpc.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 11:19:00 GMT 2008

>> Obvisously one solution is to compile on Centos 4, using a gcc such as 3.4.
>> However I'd like to use the latest gcc is I can.
>
> Don't.  if you want to run on Centos 4, build on Centos 4.

I don't just want to run on Centos4. I want to produce an application
that will run on a wide variety of linux without having one version
compiled for each disto. Much like I'd do on, say, Windows.

Seems remarkable to me that if I want my application to run on Centos 4
(which isn't exactly old), then I'm forced to use the vintage of
compiler that was around at the time. Or is the point that I can use gcc
4.3, I've just got to build it up and then run it on Centos4 for the
results to work.