gcc 4.3.0 -- program search path issue

Tom Browder tom.browder@gmail.com
Tue May 6 11:34:00 GMT 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Toufique, Imam <imam.toufique@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
> Here is my original configure line:
> ./configure --prefix=${INSTALL_PREFIX}

Hm, looks like you built gcc in its source directory--definitely a
no-no and may be the source of your problems.

Try following the recommended procedure and build it in (and install
it from) a clean build directory away from the gcc source.

I have built gcc many times with mixed versions and have had no
problems (except with Qt which hides its make process from the user)
by doing something like:

tar -xjvf gcc-x.y.z.bz2
mkdir gcc_build
cd gcc_build
../gcc-x.y.z/configure --program-suffix=-x.y.z
sudo make install

Then, after installation, gcc-x.y.z (and other <glang>-x.y.z) is in my
local bin and libs and I can select the version I want.

-Tom