Issue on X86_64?
David Daney
ddaney@avtrex.com
Sat Mar 29 01:02:00 GMT 2008
Lorenzo Pesce wrote:
> David,
>
>>> However, when I try to build a dynamically linked library
> to be loaded
>>> by java, including the .o files from libgfortran.a
>>>
>> This seems like a bad thing to do. libgfortran.a does not
> contain PIC code, so its members cannot be put in a shared
> library. You should link against libgfortran.so
>
> This would seem the right solution on the surface, however,
> if I link against the .so, i have three problems:
> 1) When I release the code to the masses, they need one
> additional library. My issues is not with running my code but
> rather with my users (I have thousands of users and they are
> not very good with their computers).
> 2) Java needs to find where the library is and it does not
> seem to work.
> 3) The .so, because of libstc's and so on, port fairly poorly,
> so even if I wanted to include them in a release, it would
> still be a pain.
>
> Much easier for me would be to have access to the objects of
> libgortran.a compiled as PIC. I don't care for many parts of
> the .so because the code runs only as a library.
>
>
> Does it make sense?
I understand what you are saying, but I don't necessarily agree that it
is the 'right thing to do'.
The object files you need exist somewhere in the gcc build tree (but not
in any archive), you need to figure out how to get them out.
David Daney
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list