newbie trying to install and build

Bill McEnaney bill@rkirkpat.net
Thu Mar 27 22:45:00 GMT 2008

Chris,

Here's what I do when I build gcc with my Sun workstation that runs
Solaris 8.  I'm sorry about the line break in step 7.  The whole
"configure" command should be on only one line.

1. Ftp the gcc tarball  from ftp.gnu.org.
2. Copy the tarball into /usr/src.
3. Uncompress the tarball with bunzip2.
4. Untar the tarball.
5. Create a directory that's in /usr/src, but outside gcc's source tree.
 For example, I might call that outer directory "gc."
6. Cd into that other directory, into the one I call "gc".
7. Type, for example,
"/usr/src/gcc-4.3.0/configure --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld
 --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as" without the quotation marks.
8. Run "make bootstrap".
9. run "make install".
10. Strip the gcc programs that the worksation installs in /usr/local/bin.
12. Delete the gcc source tree and the "gc" directory both from /usr/src.
HTH.

Bill