[Bug: 21.5-b28] performance on aix, cpu hog

Jerry James james@xemacs.org
Thu Mar 13 14:45:00 GMT 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 6:42 AM, Thomas Mittelstaedt
<T.Mittelstaedt@cadenas.de> wrote:

>  Stephen J. Turnbull schrieb:
>
> > Thomas Mittelstaedt writes:
>  >  >   Compiler version:                  gcc (GCC) 4.2.2
>  >
>  > This may be asking for trouble; XEmacs has historically had problems
>  > with relatively recent versions of GCC, especially on non-free
>  > platforms.
>  >
>  > Have you tried building XEmacs with another compiler (including GCC
>  > 4.1 or 3.x)?
>  >
>  >

>  Just downloaded version 3.3.2 from
>  ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/aix/freeSoftware/aixtoolbox/RPMS/ppc/gcc/
>  and xemacs still sits at about 18% cpu, although interactive appears to
>  be more fluent with this version,
>  especially selecting stuff with the mouse.
>
>  PS: From that ftp directory, you also get versions 4.0.0 and 4.2.0.
>     The following website has binaries for 4.2.3 and 4.2.2:
>  http://www.perzl.org/aix/index.php?n=Main.Gcc

I don't think we can blame this on gcc, and possibly not on XEmacs
either.  The profiling information Thomas collected shows that only
miniscule amounts of time are being spent executing XEmacs code.  I
think it is more likely that we are triggering some bad kernel or
library behavior.

Thomas, can you try building a version without Motif support?
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/