Library libbackend.a

James Allsopp ja@astro.livjm.ac.uk
Thu Mar 13 01:28:00 GMT 2008

Ah, I see, thank you very much for taking the time to explain that to
me, much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jim

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Brian Dessent wrote:

> James Allsopp wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a library called libbackend.a, produced when gcc is
>> compiled. I need it to install g95, which I need because a program I need
>> to install complains about gfortran. I'm using gcc-4.2.3 on an up to date
>> gentoo install. Any help would be really gratefully received!
>
> libbackend.a will be in the build tree after successfully building gcc.
> It doesn't get installed out of the tree when you install gcc because
> it's not intended to be a an actual library, and you won't find it
> anywhere other than by building gcc.  It's just a temporary convenience
> for linking the individual gcc subcompilers (cc1, cc1plus, et cetera)
> and it's superfluous once the gcc build is finished.
>
> Brian

  James Allsopp                         E-mail	     ja@astro.livjm.ac.uk
  Astrophysics Research Institute       Telephone     +44 151 2312922
  Liverpool John Moores University      Fax	     +44 151 2312921