compile with no prefix

Tim Prince tprince@myrealbox.com
Sun Mar 30 13:03:00 GMT 2008


George Neill wrote:
> Ian,
> 
>>  You should always configure it with a prefix.  But if you wrap up the
>>  whole directory structure under that prefix and put it somewhere else,
>>  gcc will still be able to run and to find its supporting programs.
> 
> Thanks, maybe someone on the list could help give guidance on the
> following thread
> (http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5277589) ?
> 
> Recently. I have learned ...
> 
> make DESTDIR=/path/to/some/install/dir install
> 
> Is this preferred now-a-days over --prefix= ?

--prefix isn't supported for the mpfr build on x86-64, except possibly for 
Ubuntu and Debian.  As you snipped so aggressively, I don't know if that 
might be an issue.  I haven't seen an explanation of whether maintainers 
of packages other than mpfr have that "preference."



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list