Compiling instructions unclear gcc-4.3.0

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Fri Jun 6 14:57:00 GMT 2008


Nick England wrote:
> the instructions on http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html
> 
> say:
> 
> To configure GCC:
> 
>         % mkdir objdir
>         % cd objdir
>         % srcdir/configure [options] [target]
> 
> However, in the insctutions on building it only says to do a make.

You can't build without first configuring; there's nothing to build
until you've defined a configuration.

> If I do a make in objdir I get "make: *** No targets specified and no
> makefile found.  Stop."
> 
> If I do a make in the srcdir then I am building in the srcdir, which
> the instructions advise against.
> 
> What is the correct command to run to build GCC in a non-src dir?

% mkdir objdir
% cd objdir
% srcdir/configure [options] [target]
% make
% make install

Andrew.



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list