Simplification of relational expressions

John Fine johnsfine@verizon.net
Wed Jun 4 13:52:00 GMT 2008

Andrew Haley wrote:
> Which it is doing. What, then, is your point?
My point was explaining the aspect of this that the OP probably wouldn't
have understood after your first reply:  The fact that the optimizer in
a specific compiler can/should/does base its behavior on the actual non
optimized code of THAT compiler, not on the universe of possible non
optimized code specified by the standard.

In other words, I was giving the reason that your first reply is correct
even with his statement "signed integer overflow is undefined".  I
expect a beginner reading your reply would conclude you had ignored or
disagreed with that statement.