Where should libiberty.a be installed?

IainS developer@sandoe-acoustics.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 16:22:00 GMT 2008


On 3 Jun 2008, at 16:53, Brian Dessent wrote:

> IainS wrote:
>
>> That way the user can keep track of which version is being linked.
>
> But you're missing the point: this copy that is installed is the
> host-libiberty not the target-libiberty.  No code that gcc creates  
> will
> use this library, it is totally extraneous and you can just delete  
> it if
> it bothers you.  I think it's just an artifact of the fact that gcc
> lives in a combined tree of many other packages, and the toplevel is
> shared between all of them.


hm.
when building the native tools (host=build=target) it's sometimes  
difficult to tell things apart

I have perhaps, been misled by the following;
I'm also building cross-tools:

The cross-build [make install] installs a *target* libiberty in /usr/ 
target-vendor-os/lib

So I was assuming that the libiberty installed in /usr/lib was (by  
symmetry) the "target" libiberty for the target=host case.

I don't mind that much - whether I delete or move the library ;
It seems we all agree it doesn't belong where it's being put.

perhaps the real question is
"should gcc install libiberty?"

Iain



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list