glibc crashes: realloc(): invalid next size

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Mon Jun 23 10:52:00 GMT 2008

Shamir Stein wrote:

> I'm using gcc with eCos OS on an ARM926 platform (embedded variant).
> I have an entire application written in C which compiles perfectly.
> I recently started adding C++ code to the application and at some point
> glibc began crashing with the following message:
> *** glibc detected ***
> /gnutools/arm-elf/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/arm-elf/3.2.1/../../../../arm-elf/bin/l
> d: realloc(): invalid next size: 0x096f2358 *** if I remove the C++ modules
> from the makefile, the problem disappears, so I guess I'm misusing gcc.
> what am I doing wrong here?

In the absence of the actual code it's hard to tell.

I don't suppose it's possible for you to run the code on an x86 platform,
is it?  If you could do that, you could find the bug with Valgrind.

Andrew.