problems with char * return from a function
Vardhan, Sundara (GE Infra, Energy)
sundara.vardhan@ge.com
Thu Jun 12 00:52:00 GMT 2008
Hi All
I am calling a function x within strcpy as follows
strcpy(a,x("sample text","default text"));
x is defined as follows
char * x(char *m, char *n)
{
char *return_val=NULL;
if (check m is in database)
return_val=m;
else
return_val=n;
return(return_val);
}
This causes the array a to have a corrupted string. The string is either m or n but with illegal characters appended.
So I tried the following
char *temp=NULL
temp=x("sample text","default text");
strcpy(a,temp);
When I printed temp, it looked file, but when I printed a it was garbled. I had initialized as a[0]='\0';
The same program works fine in Sun and IBM. Is there anything in GCC that I need to use as flag to have this not occur?
Any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
With Regards
Vardhan
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list