problems compiling gcc under Max OS X

Nicholas Miller nicholas.d.miller@mac.com
Sun Jul 13 00:15:00 GMT 2008


Glad to have helped. Answering your question drew me to the same  
evaluation and results.

Now the real work begins. ;)

On Jul 12, 2008, at 2:16 PM, Dan Allen wrote:

> Thanks to Bill Broadley, Robert Fuller, Nicholas Miller, and Chris  
> Jefferson for the help.
>
> It appears that my issue #1 is related to the default build of  
> gmp-4.2.2.  On my iMac with its Core2 Duo chip, gmp's ./configure  
> script builds gmp with -m64 -mtune=k8.  This appears to be the root  
> of the problems.  The build should be 32-bit, not 64-bit, and my  
> machine does not have an AMD K8 in it!
>
> Starting with gmp-4.2.2,  I found success by doing:
>
> 	./configure ABI="32" CFLAGS="-O2"
> 	make -j4
> 	sudo make install
>
> Then with mpfr-2.3.1, I found success by doing exactly the same:
>
> 	./configure ABI="32" CFLAGS="-O2"
> 	make -j4
> 	sudo make install
>
> Then with the folder gcc-4.3-20080710 (the latest GCC snapshot), I  
> did:
>
> 	cd gcc-4.3-20080710
> 	mkdir build
> 	cd build
> 	../configure
> 	make
>
> and voila: gcc-4.3.1 builds!
>
> Perhaps this info can be added to GCC release notes so that others  
> which want to build GCC-4.3 can build these required libraries  
> properly.
>
> <soapbox>
> It would be MUCH BETTER to make these libraries part of the GCC  
> sources as part of gcclib perhaps, and have them subsumed into a  
> coherent whole so that everyone does not have to deal with this.   
> GCC has way too many external dependencies.  These dependencies  
> need to be removed!
> </soapbox>
>
> BTW, I discovered all of this because on FreeBSD-7.0 CURRENT I can  
> build gcc-4.3.1 and these libraries just fine on a Core2 Duo  
> Toshiba laptop of mine.  I inspected their builds and found that  
> they were not 64-bit builds.  That is what gave me the clue.
>
> So the bug is that the ./configure of gmp works on FreeBSD but does  
> not on Mac OS X.
>
> Dan
>
>
>



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list