install question

Rupert Wood me@rupey.net
Fri Jan 25 10:42:00 GMT 2008

Jared Hansen wrote:

> I am trying to install gcc 4.2 on  a linux machine I have, but I
> don't know what the trunk-build is or if I need it. I've looked
> through the documentation and have  not been able to find anything
> useful. What is it? Do I need it with the gcc 4.2 build?

The trunk build is the current state-of-the-art development version. In this case it's a pre-release of 4.3.0.

If you want 4.2 you can get the current pre-release 4.2.3 source using:

    svn co svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/branches/gcc-4_2-branch

but there are additional requirements for building from a subversion checkout over and above the usual requirements for building from source. See http://gcc.gnu.org/svn.html. Unless you know there's a specific fix in 4.2.3 that you need that isn't in 4.2.2 then you'll find it easier to build the 4.2.2 .tar; however 4.2.3 is likely to be released in the next few weeks from that code - see http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2008-01/msg00332.html.

'Trunk' is only mentioned once in the install instructions in the explanation of --enable-werror defaults. Is that where you came across it, did you find that confusing, do you think that needs to be improved?

Rup.