build_modify_expr

polina pdudnik@gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 01:47:00 GMT 2008

Hello,

I am doing a research project and for it I need a way to detect the parsing
of the following line of code:

String = (char *) malloc(1000);

In c-parse.in I found a call to build_modify_expr which is defined in
c-typeck.c. There's little comments to go along with this function, but from
what I understand this function just builds any statement such that the
right hand side modifies the left hand side. Including just assigning the
RHS to LHS.

But suppose I had the following statement:

char * String = (char *) malloc(1000);

Somehow I don't think build_modify_expr is called in this situation. From
what I understand start_init is called to initialize this cariable.

So, I am a little confused about which cases are covered by
build_modify_expr. I would appreciate any information on build_modify_expr.
Thank you.

P.S. I am using GCC 2.7.2 and I do realize that this is a very old version,
however I don't have a choice, I must use GCC 2.7.2.