Problem compiling gcc 4.2.1 on AIX 5.3

Kai Ruottu karuottu@mbnet.fi
Fri Jan 18 19:07:00 GMT 2008

Kai Ruottu wrote:
> Anant Athavale wrote:
>> I have resolved the problem of sed, now compilation fails at this stage:
>>
>> /tmp/gcc-4.2.2/host-powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0/prev-gcc/xgcc
<snip>
>> -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -Wl,-bbigtoc -o cc1-dummy c-lang.o stub-objc.o
>> attribs.o c-errors.o c-lex.o
<snip>
>> collect2: ld returned 12 exit status
>> make[3]: *** [cc1-dummy] Error 1
>
> So my advices are to check what this exit code 12 means and what
> that '-bbigtoc' means and whether it could clash with the GCC defaults
> for code production,  the linker not
> really understanding it, or something...
I browsed the documentation :

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#x-ibm-aix

once again and saw there really being this note :

"Some versions of the AIX binder (linker) can fail with a relocation
overflow severe error when the -bbigtoc option is used to link
GCC-produced object files into an executable that overflows the TOC. A
fix for APAR IX75823 (OVERFLOW DURING LINK WHEN USING GCC AND -BBIGTOC)
is available from IBM Customer Support and from its
techsupport.services.ibm.com <http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/>
website as PTF U455193."

You should check if this is the case...