Gcc Configure System

Tom Browder tom.browder@gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 03:44:00 GMT 2008

On 1/16/08, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to help with a new front end for gcc and have a question
> about the configure system:
>
> I notice that each Makefile generated by configure defines srcdir at
> the top as the directory it is formed in (and then sometimes redefines
> it later).
>
> How, then, should one refer to the absolute root of the source tree
> regardless of the depth of the Makefile?

I should have been a little more specific:

The recommended way to build gcc is to use a clean directory outside
the source tree somthing like this:

  mkdir build_dir
  cd build_dir
/path/to/gcc_src/configure <options>

I want to know if there is a preferred or defined way to refer to
"/path/to/gcc_src" in build scripts or configure inputs since
"$(srcdir)" seems to be locally defined per Makefile.

Thanks.

-Tom