Compile gcc from source on a 64 bit OS ?

NightStrike nightstrike@gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 18:39:00 GMT 2008

On 1/1/08, Tim Prince <tprince@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> NightStrike wrote:
> > On 12/28/07, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Dennis Clarke writes:
> >>  >
> >>  > > Hsieh, Pei-Ying (MED US) writes:
> >>  > >
> >>  > >  > I need to compile gcc from source on a 64 bit linux OS (Ubuntu and
> >>  > >  > OpenSuSE).
> >>  > >
> >>  > > x86_64, I guess.
> >>  > >
> >>  > >  > After scanning through the installation procedures and manual, it
> >>  > >  > is not clear to me how to do this on a 64 bit OS (default seems to
> >>  > >  > be for 32 bit OS, using -m32).  It will be highly appreciated if
> >>  > >  > you can shed some light on this.  Thanks!
> >>  > >
> >>  > > It's usually configure, make, make install.  Debian-derived distros
> >>  > > have some patches because they put 64-bit libraries in /lib instead of
> >>  > > /lib64, which is where the standard says they should be.
> >>  >
> >>  > what standard ?  An ISO or OpenGroup document somewhere ?
> >> `
> >> Originally the x86_64 ABI, later the Linux FHS.
> >>

> > gcc doesn't look in lib64 for the x86_64-pc-mingw32 target.  Is this a bug?
> >

> This was discussed on fortran@gcc.gnu.org.  My recollection was an
> agreement to switch to the lib64 standard.

As I recall, there was no final decision on what to do, nor any patch
applied to anything.  I was hoping to casually raise the issue in the
hopes that someone who knows how to will supply an appropriate patch.