Migrating from gcc 2.95.3 to 3.4.5 in vxWorks on Power Pc platforms

Aparna Upadhya aparna.upadhya@gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 15:56:00 GMT 2008


Hi,

I am trying to upgrade gcc from 2.95.3 to 3.4.5 on vxWorks.  The
target processors are power PC - MPC  8260, 8360, 860, 850 ,7410... .
I am facing few problems.

I have re-compiled all the bootroms on these targets, and also
recompiled (WIND_BASE)/target/src directory.

1. Do I need to recompile lib$(CPU)$(TOOL)vx.a ?
2. Do I need to recompile libgcc.a ?
3. Are there any header files like stdarg.h that are going to change
with new compiler ?

I could successfully build , burn  and bring up bootrom_uncmp -
uncompressed images on these targets. But when I convert them to
bootrom.bin - compressed images, somewhere it is lost. The processor
hangs on some branch instruction and the emulator goes for reset.

Here is the make sequence I execute.

clearmake -C gnu bootram

$(WIND_BASE)/host/sun4-solaris2/bin/elfToBin < bootram > bootram.bin
$(WIND_BASE)/host/sun4-solaris2/bin/deflate < bootram.bin > tmp.Z
$(WIND_BASE)//host/sun4-solaris2/bin/binToAsm tmp.Z >bootrom.Z.s

clearmake -C gnu bootrom

objcopyppc -O bootrom bootrom.bin

But  the board goes for reset on some branch instruction. I am not
sure if something went wrong in deflating the image. But the
uncompressed image comes up successfully on the board.

Do we need the following tools separately for new compiler from
vxworks ? -    binToAsm , deflate , elfToBin, elfXsyms ,romsize ,
vxsize

thanks
aparna



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list