How to instrument a program using GCC

Diego Novillo dnovillo@google.com
Tue Feb 19 13:38:00 GMT 2008

On 2/18/08 11:12 PM, Haifeng He wrote:
> Thanks for replying. I searched online but could not find much information about
> GCC tree-profiling. GCC Internal also does not explain much on that. Is there
> any other document explains that subject? Or some kind of tutorial or small
> example that demonstrates how to manipulate GIMPLE tree will be also very
> helpful.

If you just want GCC to instrument your program, then reading on how to
use the -fprofile-* switches should be enough.  Both are in the user
manual that comes with GCC.

If you want to know *how* these options work, that's different.  A good
starting point is the GCC wiki.  In particular,
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GettingStarted

Diego.