static linking warning

burlen burlen@apollo.sr.unh.edu
Thu Feb 14 21:34:00 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I am encountering a warning which I would like to understand a little
better.

p4_secure.c: warning: Using 'getpwuid' in statically linked applications
requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for
linking

I am building an app with the --static flag. I have attempted to make
sure that all of the components of this app are linked against
statically linked libraries. This call is part of the underlying system.
But why would I get this warning? Why wouldn't those functions be linked
in statically as well?

Thanks
Burlen