dead code identification

Mark Hampton mark.hampton@certess.com
Wed Feb 13 16:45:00 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 13 February 2008 17:26, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Mark Hampton wrote:
> > I would like to identify dead/redundant code that is being optimized away
> > by gcc. Is there a way to have gcc report the line number associated with
> > this code ?
>
> I guess someone should point out that some commercial compilers (Sun's
> comes to mind) issue warnings for unreachable code. IMO this would make
> a nice improvement to gcc.

Thanks for that - I had not thought of using "unreachable code" as the search
term :

-Wunreachable-code
    Warn if the compiler detects that code will never be executed.

So it does seem gcc supports this.

> As far as redundant code, though, redundant code can be more readable
> than the alternative (I've several times caught myself writing redundant
> code and hoping gcc would fold it in optimization).

I agree that redundant code can make things easier to read. I would like to be
able to identify which lines of code are redundant. Any hints most welcome.

Regards,
	Mark