Problem with gcc 3.4.5 and raw SSE

Bill Ackerman wbackerman@gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 19:39:00 GMT 2008

Thanks.  It works fine now.  And it really generates the PADDD
instruction, rather than emulating, and my cheapo laptop really
executes same!

The documentation, in
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.0/gcc/X86-Built-in-Functions.html
was incorrect.  I'm a firm believer in the doctrine of "All persons
who wish to complain about XYZ may signify same by raising their hand
and saying 'I volunteer to fix it.'"

So I'd like to rewrite that section (it's actually scattered into
two places -- "X86 builtin functions" and "vector extensions".
I have extensive experience with SSE stuff, both writing code and
getting into the intrinsics-versus-classes-with-overloaded-operators
debates, from my work with the number-crunching in medical ultrasound
systems.

OK?

Bill Ackerman
wba@alum.mit.edu