Building 64 bit compiler on Solaris AMD64

Scott L. Burson Scott@ergy.com
Fri Dec 19 08:01:00 GMT 2008


On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Kai Ruottu <kai.ruottu@wippies.com> wrote:
>
> Aren't there any "Solaris 11/x86_64" alternatives like there are
> separate Linuces for both 'x86' and 'x86_64' ?  Or why there isn't
> any "64-bit default" GCC target for Solaris 11 ?

I think this is what all your questions come down to.  Solaris does
not have separate distributions for 32-bit and 64-bit; there's only
one DVD, and AFAIK the installations it produces when run on 32-bit
and 64-bit hardware are identical except for the kernel.  Now what Sun
could do, given this, is to distribute both a 32-bit gcc that produces
32-bit objects by default, and a 64-bit gcc that produces 64-bit
objects by default, put them in different bin directories, and let you
use $PATH to select the one you want.  But they haven't done that.

As for why x86_64-pc-solaris2 doesn't work as a GCC target, I think
the answer is simply that no one has gotten around to making it work.
I'm sure the GCC team would be happy to receive a patch for this.  I
don't think I have time to produce one anytime soon, though.

-- Scott



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list