checking for suffix of object file

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Sun Aug 31 00:53:00 GMT 2008

Jerin Joy wrote:

> I'm trying to build gcc 4.3.1 on Linux. The configure works. 'make'
> dies with the error:
>
> checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: cannot
> compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
> See `config.log' for more details.

As it says, the config.log (in the libgcc subdirectory, not toplevel)
will contain the answer.  Most likely you will see an error along the
lines of "unable to find shared library libgmp.so" (or libmpfr.so.)
This happens if you installed them as shared libraries in a non-system
location without informing the dynamic linker of their location, via
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or ld.so.conf.

Brian