[GCC] 4.3.1 installation problems

Mark Zweers mark_zweers@hotmail.com
Sun Aug 10 11:11:00 GMT 2008

Dear Brian,

Thanks for your fast answer.

I got this point from the manual and I think I've done it ok. This is my directory structure:

/usr/share/gcc-4.3.1/gcc <--- contains all the .c and .h files
/usr/share/gcc-4.3.1/gcc_objectdir <--- from which I entered the command 'make'

So there seems to be a correct distinction between these two directories. I did make the mistake to enter the command '../gcc/make' , but since there is no Makefile in this directory, it cannot do anything wrong.

But I've tried again, with this directory structure:

/usr/share/gcc-4.3.1/gcc <--- contains all the .c and .h files
/usr/lib/gcc/gcc_4.3.1/ <--- from which I entered
     1). the command '/usr/share/gcc-4.3.1/gcc/configure'
     2). the command 'make'

same errors...

I'm using Debian Etch, I have installed GCC 4.1 with its binary 'g++' in the directory '/usr/bin'
My system is a x86 ordinary two-year old laptop, nothing special.

Am I doing wrong something?

Thanks a lot again...

Mark