AIX 4.3 and gcc-3.4.6 build

Kai Ruottu kai.ruottu@wippies.com
Tue Apr 29 05:11:00 GMT 2008

Jędrzej Dudkiewicz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build gcc-3.4.6 on AIX 4.3. I'm following the
> system-specific instructions for AIX system (CONFIG_SHELL, patches,
> etc.).
> As a machine I build on is rather old, there is not enough space on
> harddisk, so I'm doing everything on a remote mount (NFS).

What about cross-compiling, aka making a crosscompiler for AIX 4.3?
Should it be possible? At least for someone who legally has the target
stuff, C library binaries and headers... For anyone interested? The
AIX target stuff being freely available via download?

> I run configure from/jd/src/gcc-build/aix-build directory:
> ../gcc-3.4.6/configure --with-as=/usr/bin/as --with-ld=/usr/bin/ld
> --disable-nls --enable-languages=c,c++ --prefix=/jd/aix-bin/gcc-3.4.6
> --enable-threads --enable-shared --enable-static
>
> Compilation fails after about seven hours(!)

I would expect the same happening in 15-30 minutes even on a 600-800 MHz
PC with Linux and with 512 Mbytes RAM... Producing multilibs for libgcc
can make things a little slower.

> with the following:
>
> configure:2484: checking whether the C compiler works
> configure:2490: ./a.out
> Could not load program ./a.out:
> Cannot run a 64-bit program on a 32-bit machine.
> configure:2493: $? = 255
> configure:2502: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
>
> It seems obvious that in such case attempt at building 64-bit version
> should be avoided - but it isn't.
>
> What is the best way to solve this?

As the row in the log tells :

"tooldir=/jd/aix-bin/gcc-3.4.6/powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0"

the $target name was calculated as 'powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0'. If this is
a 32-bit only system, a crosscompiler is the way for producing those 64-
bit apps. If it should be a 64-bit system which can also run 32-bit
apps, then something is badly wrong :(  The 'powerpc' however tells
about a 32-bit PPC system, a 64-bit system would be recognized as
'powerpc64-ibm-aix4.3.3.0'...

Ok, what I could try first is to edit the 'gcc/config/rs6000/t-aix43'
and remove the 'ppc64' multilib from the rows :

MULTILIB_OPTIONS        = mcpu=common/mcpu=power/mcpu=powerpc/maix64

MULTILIB_DIRNAMES       = common power powerpc ppc64

so that these will be like :

MULTILIB_OPTIONS        = mcpu=common/mcpu=power/mcpu=powerpc

MULTILIB_DIRNAMES       = common power powerpc

I really don't know what it should do or shouldn't do in an AIX system,
this fix only removes the production of the '-maix64' libraries...