Need help for an old makefile

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Sat Apr 19 10:02:00 GMT 2008

mahmoodn wrote:

> The problem is about m4. I get an error "m4 unrecognized". How can I fix it?
> It seems that oldr versions used m4, but I don't know what happened to it in
> newer version.

m4 is a general purpose text processing program/language.  It's not
specific to C or gcc, nor is it part of make; it's just a regular
command.  I'd be surprised if there existed a linux distro or unix
vendor in the world that didn't have a m4 package that you can select to
install, as it's a standard unix tool going back decades.  But this is
way off-topic for this list.

Brian