build 64-bit gcc-4.2.2 on Solaris 9

Poor Yorick org.gnu.gcc.help@pooryorick.com
Fri Apr 11 20:33:00 GMT 2008

I'm trying to build 64-bit gcc-4.2.2 on Solaris 9, but I keep getting 32-bit files in the build.  I've tried various values for --host,  --target,  CFLAGS, and LDFLAGS, but no joy.  I modified GCC_FOR_TARGET right before running make, and finally got a 64-bit gcc/crt1.o, but then intl/config tried to make more 32-bit objects.  I've looked around the documentation, and back through a couple of years of the mailing list without luck.  Could someone please clue me in on how to tell gcc to be 64-bit?

---
Yorick