Ouch! Install size went from 18M to 900M.

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Tue Apr 8 22:26:00 GMT 2008

John Morrison wrote:

> I can not believe that the compiler and binutils increased that much
> between 2.95.2 and 4.2.0.  What can I specify to cut this down?  There
> must have been something that opted in that I can turn off.

I would guess mutlilibs and debug info contribute to that.  You can
print the list of multilibs configured for your target with
-print-multi-lib, and if it's too many or you don't need multilib
capability you can --disable-multilib when configuring.  Some targets
build a great number of multilibs.

To strip debug info there are a number of techniques, e.g. 'make
LDFLAGS="-s"'.

But really, you have the before and after files, we don't.  So it would
seem you are the only one that can truly answer this question.  gcc is a
complex program with many optional supporting libs/features, and
supports so many various targets that it's hard to just pick and ancient
version built with unknown options and recent version and tell what's
different given only disk space usage.

Brian