Coding conventions -- command line option vs command-line option

Robert Kiesling kiesling@earthlink.net
Tue Sep 18 10:14:00 GMT 2007

> On 17 September 2007 00:35, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>
> > And now to the most important issue of all to address before we can
> > release GCC 4.3.0. ;-)
> >
> > In our current documentation we have both "command-line option" and
> > "command line option".  Like other such cases, we should make a choice
> > and document this in codingconventions.html.
> >
> > I am willing to take care of that, and also adjusting our web pages
> > accordingly.  The question now is: which of the two variants shall we
> > go for?
> >
> > Gerald
>
>   Hyphenated.  It's not a line option of a command, it's an option of a
> command-line.

Oops, I didn't mean to contradict you.  I would say, as a counterexample,
that the term alone is, "command line," and not, "command-line."

I think (please don't quote me on this) that a newspaper style dictator
would agree with you.  My example is take from a style that is used in
non-journalistic texts.

Regards,

Robert

--