Problem installing gcc-4.2.1 on Solaris 8

Garey Mills gmills@library.berkeley.edu
Sat Sep 15 07:47:00 GMT 2007

    I have a Sun Server running Solaris 8. I had an older GCC installed
and convinced myself that I needed to upgrade. I tried several times to
install 4.2.1, and only suceeded when I restricted the build to only the
C language.

    After reading a bit, I thought the reason I could only install C
might be the lack of current GNU binutils. I downloaded them and
installed them, and then tried to install GCC again. I cannot get it
compile no matter which languages I exclude. Here is the trace of where
it falls over:

make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/gcc-4.2.1-target/gcc'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gcc-4.2.1-target/gcc'
make[2]: *** [all-stage1-gcc] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gcc-4.2.1-target'
make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gcc-4.2.1-target'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Anyone have an idea about what's going on?

Garey Mills