Who have already used the new GCC option "-fvisibility=hidden" in Mingw+Msys?

Duft Markus Markus.Duft@salomon.at
Thu Sep 13 09:01:00 GMT 2007

Brian Dessent <> wrote:
> Perty Cay wrote:
>
>> The ld.exe is from binutils package, as I check the
>> verison, seems the latest version is 2.17.50 which is
>> from 2006.08.14.  I don't know if the mingw don't add
>> the feature, or it is GCC issues.
>>
>> Any one has idea about it?
>
> Visibility is a feature of ELF.  Windows uses the PE format which does
> not support symbol visibility.  There is no way for gcc to use that
> which the operating system does not provide.

Huh? Doesn't PE support symbol visibility in shared libraries etc. by
default, and much, much much longer and better than ELF / gcc? I just
wonder, because i'm not sure if the same stuff is meant here (I'm
thinking of dllexport/dllimport and such...)

Cheers, Markus

--

Salomon Automation GmbH - Friesachstrasse 15 - A-8114 Friesach bei Graz
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Friesach bei Graz