LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Ian Lance Taylor iant@google.com
Tue Oct 30 08:43:00 GMT 2007


"Abhay Misra" <0infinity0@gmail.com> writes:

>   I have been looking at http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Admin/ld-lib-path.html
> & the Linux man pages.  I am just trying to work out if
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used at link time or not. I have been told that it
> is only used at run time, however if I set it and try to link some of
> the link errors seem to resolve themselves. Can some one please
> clarify whether or not LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used at both at link and run
> time.

When doing a native link, LD_LIBRARY_PATH will be used at link time to
help find shared libaries which are referenced by other shared
libraries directly included in the link.  That is, for a native
linker, LD_LIBRARY_PATH will supply a value for the -rpath-link
option, q.v.

Ian



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list