configure fails if not root

Rick Mann rmann@latencyzero.com
Sat Oct 6 07:22:00 GMT 2007

I'm trying to make a simple script to build gcc for arm-elf, based on
the GNUARM steps (http://gnuarm.com/support.html).

First I configure binutils, then build it and install it (as root),
then I set the path, then I configure GCC with --with-headers=the
newlib headers, and I run into this problem:

checking for correct version of gmp.h... no
*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
      target-libmudflap target-libgomp target-libffi target-libada
gnattools target-libgfortran target-zlib target-libjava zlib target-
libobjc target-boehm-gc
     (Any other directories should still work fine.)
Copying ../../newlib-1.15.0/newlib/libc/include to /usr/local/arm-elf/
arm-elf/sys-include
mkdir: /usr/local/arm-elf/arm-elf/sys-include: Permission denied
../configure: line 2863: cd: /usr/local/arm-elf/arm-elf/sys-include:
No such file or directory
../configure: line 2869: /usr/local/arm-elf/arm-elf/sys-include/
COPIED: No such file or directory

If I configure as root instead, it's able to continue.

I'm not sure why gcc's configure is even mucking about with the
prefix directory yet. Shouldn't it wait until the make install step?